Thursday, December 4, 2014


Thinking about putting my fat ass in running shorts is depressing. I look ridiculous in my old running shorts and is it possible my feet got fatter too?  My beloved Brooks, Green Silence, no longer fit :(  So now i must embark on my quest to collect the swag i need to drop 50 lbs. comfortably and with some expedience.  First lets free associate 50lb objects to put this in perspective.

  1. A BORDER COLLIE AND A HOUSE CAT COMBINED
  2. 5 MEDIUM SIZED BOWLING BALLS
  3. TWO CAR TIRES
  4. OTHER RIDICULOUS SHIT THAT ISN'T AS FUNNY AS A BORDER COLLIE AND A HOUSE CAT.
When i moved to another window to explore stuff that weighs 50lbs i stumbled upon a rejecting300.blogspot.  Yuk.  I'm not about losing weight to avoid being charged for two seats on a plane.  I'll never hit 300lbs. I'm about getting fast......and shopping at j crew comfortably again.  But i digress.

Lets start with some shoes.  I'm a fan of minimalist running shoes.  I used to wear the most expensive Asics money could buy, Kinsi, Kayano, Nimbus, etc.  I had no idea why i always had shin splints or fucked up arches swollen knees and a bad back.  I read BORN TO RUN and everything changed.  It's about a husky runner plagued with planter faciitis and bad knees befriended a tribe of Native Americans that regularly run over 300 miles at a time wearing little to no protection on their feet.  More amazing is that they both prepare and recover for and from these runs by getting shitfaced on homemade beer and eating some sort of maize or something.  It's a must read and i'd also recommend RUNNING WITH THE BUFFALOES, the story of a very special track and field team from the University of Colorado.  I couldn't put either down and they are due for another read. CHICKEN SOUP FOR THE RUNNERS SOUL is a good book for next to the toilet.



Anyhow, Dean Karnazes is arguably the baddest runner ever and he helped Brooks design my old favorite shoe, Green Silence, and the Cascadia for road and trail running respectively.  I shal explore some shoes and shorts and report back.

Things to come : Top 5 contestants for ; Training and race day shoes, Bikes i can afford and not be embarrassed to ride, helmets, gloves, jerseys, shorts, shoes, pedals, cyclometers, wristwatch, headphones, gps lojac for bikes and lube/glide products.   I'm sure everyone is on pins and needles.  I'd also like to say to Cannondale, Felt Bikes, Look Bikes, Giant Bikes or anyone else that would like me to try some bikes under $3,000 that don't suck to contact me at randrewlessard@gmail.com  Wouldn't it be sweet if someone wanted to let me ride a demo for a year!!!
I know I've been primarily talking about running but in my mind the easiest and most fun way to drop weight and get in shape without being bored out of your mind while simultaniously risking your life based on a mathmatical certainty that you will be hit by a car, is road cycling.  I miss my bike.  I recently sold my baby on ebay due to my need to fund my actual baby.  I prefer my daughter to my Cannondale but i long for the street.  If you can put in around 150 to 200 miles a week you can eat anything you want and still loose weight.  It's like being immortal but when you stop you end up looking like Greg LeMonde
 
Wholly cow!!  I think i'm there!! I also understand that he has lost some weight and i'd like to take back every shitty thing i said about him while defending Lance Armstrong to friends.  You were right Greg, i apologise.


my sweet sweet baby Supersix, what a great bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment